Friday

In the Circus of You: An Illustrated Novel-in-Poems by Nicelle Davis and Cheryl Gross

In the Circus of You: An Illustrated Novel-in-PoemsIn the Circus of You: An Illustrated Novel-in-Poems by Nicelle Davis and Cheryl Gross
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

As a lover of experimental form, I'm always looking for clever and fresh ways to tell a story, and I was thrilled to see how Nicelle Davis does it here. In the Circus of You is a book of poetry, yes, but it's also a complete story. Each poem stands beautifully on its on, but at the same time you can step back and see a story arc, and even more importantly to me, a character arc. These poems engaged me right from the start, connected me to the narrator, I'm invested, and by the end I feel I know this person. And the illustrations by Cheryl Gross are the icing on the cake. It's really a beautiful collaboration between the author and the illustrator.
Like all the books put it out by Rose Metal Press, this one has become a favorite. It's one that I carry with me, and I'm constantly going back to it. Highly recommend this book to all my writer friends, especially those of you who enjoy experimental form.

*FTC Disclosure: I received this book free from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment