Sunday

"Still Life" by Louise Penny

Still Life: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel by Louise Penny
Minotaur Books
ISBN-13: 978-0312541538


 I had been wanting to read Louise Penny's How the Light Gets In, but since it was a part of a series, I thought it would be best if I went back and started with the first installment, which is Still Life. So happy I read this one! Time richly spent!

The first in the Chief Inspector Gamache series, Still Life begins when the body of Miss Jane Neal is discovered in the woods in the Canadian village of Three Pines. Miss Neal is an artist and a retired school teacher with seemingly no enemies and her death is first thought to be a hunting accident. But Chief Gamache, accompanied by his assistant Beauvoir and Yvette Nichol, a newcomer to the team, soon discover life is anything but still in this little village where everyone has a secret.

I loved everything about this story. Beautiful, lyrical narrative, a clever and loveable hero who puts me in mind of Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot, and a masterfully constructed whodunit that I promise will keep you guessing to the very end.
Very much looking forward to reading more in this series.

If you haven't read any of the Chief Inspector Gamache novels, I suggest you start here with Still Life.
You can connect with the author on her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment